Carrot and Apple Butter Muffins
Makes 12-15 servings
- 1 cup unbleached flour
- 1 cup whole wheat or bran flour
- 2 tsp baking soda
- ½ tsp cinnamon
- ½ tsp nutmeg or pumpkin spice
- 1 cup local carrots (grated)
- 1 large fresh local apple (grated)
- 3 large eggs
- ⅔ cup unsalted butter
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 cup apple butter
- ½ cup raisins (optional)
- ½ cup unsweetened shredded coconut (optional)
- Preheat oven to 375°F
- Grease muffin trays with non-GMO sunflower oil, or use Silpat muffin trays
- Mix eggs, oil, vanilla and Apple Butter and set aside
- Sift together; flour, baking soda, spices. Add carrots, apple, coconut and raisins.
- Add egg/oil mixture and stir thoroughly
- Generously spoon mixture into muffin tins
- Bake for 20-25 minutes
- Double the recipe and store the extras in the freezer, the chilled muffin will thaw by lunchtime when packed in your kid’s lunch bag.
- Try sneaking in other veggies like shredded zucchini, beets, or puréed broccoli.