- 1.6 L water (for soaking)
- 4 cups chickpeas, dried
- 2 Tbsp olive oil
- 1 small carrot, diced
- 1 stalk celery, diced
- 1 large onion, diced
- 1 Tbsp garlic, minced or pressed
- 1 tsp ginger, diced
- ¼ green bell pepper, diced
- 4 ½ cups water
- 1 can crushed tomatoes
- 1 Tbsp curry powder
- 1 Tbsp cumin seed
- tsp coriander seed
- 1 tsp thyme, fresh
- 1 bay leaf
- ¼ cup cilantro, fresh, chopped
- ¼ tsp black pepper (freshly ground, if possible)
- 1 Tbsp sea salt
- Soak chickpeas in the 1.6 L of water overnight. Drain and rinse before using.
- Place the oil in a heavy pan over medium-high heat. When the oil is hot, add the onions, carrot, celery, garlic, ginger, and green bell pepper. Sauté this mixture until the onions have softened.
- Add spices, tomatoes, chickpeas, and 4 ½ cups of water. Bring the mixture to a boil, stirring occasionally. Reduce the heat to medium-low and simmer, covered and stirring occasionally, until the beans are tender.
- Use non-GMO (non-genetically modified) cooking oils whenever possible.
- This dish is excellent served with brown rice, flatbread, and plain yogurt.